Faster EntreCard Drops

|

Earlier this year I wrote about Entrecard and how to make the most of it. One of the key parts of EntreCard is "dropping".

Dropping
The final way to earn credits is the most intensive, but is also the primary earning for a blog with little traffic. You can go to other sites that have EntreCard and "drop" on them. Not only will that site earn a credit, you will too. As a bonus, many sites will often do "dropbacks" meaning they will drop on your site if you drop on theirs. If you find people that do that each drop doubles in value. My suggestion for doing drops is to bookmark a few blogs everyday that have the following characteristic:
1. Have an EntreCard
2. Are of a related subject
3. Have the EntreCard widget towards the top of their site.
Then put all of those bookmarks in the same folder(I use the firefox "Delicious" add-on and give all the sites the same tag). Everyday, go to that folder and choose the "open all sites in this folder" option. Then, go to the bathroom or make breakfast. By the time they are done loading you can click-close-click-close each and every site. Once they are all loaded you should be able to do about 50 or more drops in 5 minutes. Also, monitor your "dropbacks" and see who returns your drops. Delete the sites that do not and replace them with sites that do.
As Dropping is the most time intensive part of EntreCard I'm always on the lookout for ways to do it more quickly. I've come up with a way to find people's EntreCard's faster and completely eliminated requirement 3 from your drop list.

Here is what you'll need.
  1. The Firefox Web Browser
  2. The GreaseMonkey Add-On
  3. Click on this link to install the EntreCard User Script
Once it's all installed what will happen is that whenever you visit a website that has the entrecard widget it will move it to the top left of the webpage. For Example, here is my blog before installing the user script:
Grease Monkey BeforeInstalling EntreCard script

Now, here is what it looks like after installing the script
Grease Monkey After Installing EntreCard script

You may wonder what happens if you don't want the website's entrecard in the top left corner. Looking again at the picture and you will notice that not only that the card is moved, but there is now a black box below it. After dropping your card(even before if you really want to), you can click the words in the box, "Move Back", and it will move the Widget back to where it was originally placed.

I wrote the script with the thought that I could now put any website in my drop list regardless of where they placed their widget; however, I have found it useful during my normal browsing too. It's a good way to be notified that someone has an EntreCard on their site. And with the "Move Back" button you can easily move the widget back to where it should be.

Hope you guys find it as useful as me.

18 comments:

John | English Wilderness said...

Neat idea. I don't use Firefox, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make a bookmarklet to achieve the same.

Dustin said...

Anyone should feel free to modify my code to try and get it to work with bookmarklet and internet explorer.

impNERD said...

Thanks for the greasemonkey script. I never thought of doing this, but I always thought of the people who do autoclicks with a greasemonkey script...

BTW, I've never done that and I never looked to see if it is even possible.

Dustin said...

I've thought of auto-clicking too, but decided against it since it's detectable and against the idea of Entrecard.

This script doesn't violate the idea since you still have to visit the site and physically "click" the drop button. But even if Entrecard did decide they didn't like people doing this, there would be no way for them to detect it.

cornyman said...

I don't see the "move back" button, i think i just saw it once or twice even now on your page this button is not visible.

Could it be that the pop-up will only happen when the page has been completely (or nearly) loaded?

I posted just now How to drop faster Entrecards and mentioned your amazing tool like i wrote you already in Twitter.

Hope you get some good traffic in the next days from my page ;-)

Dustin said...

cornyman,
I should have mentioned this in the post. The Widget moves and the move back button appear after the rest of the page is done loading. Also, after using the "move back" button it will dissapear and not come back until you reload the page.

Legal Cat said...

Good tip this, thanks man...

irtiza said...

the tip about bookmarking is a great advice. i'll implement this.

irtiza104
life as i know it

Turnip said...

I discussed an identical greasemonkey script with Phirate on July 1st, 2008. This was his response then "It's not something we'd be happy about. Personally wouldn't be crying or anything, but we try not to encourage people to do that kind of manipulation because it's just one step from there to going too far." But who knows, times have changed.

Kyle Bernard said...

Some nice tips. I have an Entrecard account, but I totally forgot about it until I read this...I may start using it again!

http://www.thedailybasic.com/

Not John Chow said...

Thanks for an amazing tool. I have seen scripts for doing the same with Adgitize but I do not understand how to add them to Grease Monkey. Have you thought of writing such a sript or adding one to the EntreCard Script that would bring up the Adgitize ads to the top to make them easy to get at. Maybe it would work with CMF Ads as well!
What do you think?

Tom said...

Offtopic - I'm trying to register in the forums for this site, but whatever I do I get the following error:

The confirm code you entered is too short.
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect.

Anyone else have the same problems?

Rob said...

Very handy! I'm going to install that script now and try it out! Thanks.

lubang said...

hohoohoho... nice article...thx a lot

Unknown said...

thanks for the tips! well definitely put those to use!

Candle Of The Night said...

nice info i will try...thanky

Ric said...

hi,

i'm ric and i've downloaded your script. i'm using it and it's very useful. i think can further improve it to suit my needs. i'm seeking your permission to do so since i'll be distributing it to others(free of course). i'll be acknowledging that you're the original creator of the script and i just modified it. hoping for your approval. thank you.

Dustin said...

No problem, Ric. Thanks for asking and giving me credit on the modified code.

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB