Time to relearn how to type

|

It seems like everyday I am turning more into an old folgie. First, I'm complaining about those crazy kids and their new fiction, now I'm being told that I type wrong. Apparently, after a period I no longer need spaces. I only need one. This is true in both APA and MLA typing style. Of course, on the internet it doesn't matter. Two spaces are usually condensed into one, but that doesn't stop me from typing them. It almost pains me to keep my thumb from double-tapping that spacebar after typing a period. I hope other old folgies have better luck changing than I am.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this problem. When I work in Word, I solve it by doing a search for stop space space, and replacing them all with stop space. It only takes a couple of seconds if you use the replace all option. Of course you have to do the same for question and exclamation marks if you've used them.

Emma Pooka said...

I continue to use two spaces as a kind of hopeless protest. It was right when I learnt it, and I refuse to let it be obsolete.

Isaac said...

Sometimes I use two spaces. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't use any spaces at all.Why should I?

Dustin said...

For some reason, I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one having difficulty adjusting.

Melanie said...

I have to double-space between sentences for my work (I'm a technical writer). But I try not to online, and many submission specs ask for single spaces now. It leads to... confusion, mostly, and it took a while to get used to. Bah!

Thanks goodness for Word's find-and-replace feature. ;)

Tom, Academic Coordinator said...

How easily we grab our ankles for the MLA. What are they, anti-rockers? Previously fascist countries like Spain have things like the Academia Espanol, which is a supreme court of anal language retentiveness. Our big brothers err in the other direction: enforced innovation. We here in the Grand Experiment have choices. I teach comp 101, and that new MLA creature is dead to me. My darlings are barely literate; why must I teach them every subtle movement of some high committee's lower intestine?

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB