Blog Fiction I'd Like to See: Halloween Edition

|

I think Blog Fiction has a lot of potential. Most of it is still untapped. This post is going to be a little self indulgent while I list Blog Fiction that I would like to see and read. There are several attempts at vampire based blog fiction. Here are some other Halloween inspired Blog Fiction ideas. Feel free to steal and modify as you wish.

Ghoul Respect.
What's a ghoul? Ask yourself. What is a ghoul. I know what a ghost is. I know what a vampire is. I know that a zombie is. What about a "ghoul". They aren't portrayed uniformly across our literature and pop culture - if they're portrayed at all. Zombies get tons of movie deals. Vampires had their own TV series and spinoffs. Ghouls? Nothing. Does that affect the self esteem of ghouls? I'm thinking a blog where a ghoul laments the lack of respect and recognition for ghouls, and tries to raise their profile so kids are just as scared of ghouls as they are the "boogeyman". Unfortunately, plans always go awry.

Sample Post
I've given up on selling my screenplay, "Nation of Ghouls". If I hear one more hollywood guy tell me that "audiences are grossed out by ghouls eating dead bodies", I'll kill him and eat his body.

So, Today I decided that if I'm going to scare kids, I should take a more direct approach. With the help of a friend I constructed a large sign that read, "Beware of recent Ghoul sightings." We put it up next to a graveyard that was actually near a school. The plan was to hide behind a tombstone then pop out and scare small children.

Things didn't go as planned...

My first victim was a 6th grade boy. I jumped right in front of him so he could see my hideous face and yelled, "I'm going to eat you little boy."

He stared at me for a second and said, "nice costume, perv".

"What? Hey, I'm freaking scary man."

"Whatev-" he said and continued walking.

I shrugged it off and saw my next victim. A little girl. Couldn't have been more than 7. When she got near, I jumped behind her and yelled out loud in my scariest deep voice. She turned around, screamed, sprayed me with mace, and shouted, "I need an adult!"

At that point the 6th grader from earlier came around the corner and said, "leave my sister alone, you perv", and kicked me in the nuts. He proceeded to kick me repeatedly. I tried to defend myself, but I couldn't see through the mace spray. I think he busted a rib. I may not be able to die again, but I sure can still feel pain.

Witches
How about a blog about modern day witches? No, I don't mean Wiccans. I mean real witches - the kind flying around on broomsticks and brewing potions using "eye of newt" witches. After all the burnings they decided to lay low and not use their powers overtly. The thing turns out though, there are different covenants of witches who are always fighting covert wars with each other. Kind of like a cross between gangs and the mob, but with magic. Although, the blog doesn't concentrate just on those wars.

I have no sample posts for this. But come on. Witches, spying, wars, surely there's enough material there for a good story.

Living with Zombies
Ok, this is pure comedy satire, inspired by Shawn of the Dead. There is a worldwide Zombie attack, but it was manageable. As it turns out, Zombies walk incredibly slowly so they aren't hard to take down. So we follow the blog of a typical person living in a city that is dealing with constant zombie attacks.

Sample Post
Today on the way to work a guy holding a can got really close to me. I didn't know if he was a zombie or a homeless guy asking for change. The PSAs on TV say I shouldn't take a chance so I hit him with the baseball bat I carry around for just such an emergency.

When I got to work I found out that my office mate had gotten infected at the mass zombie gathering the previous night. Sweet! I got an office all to myself. Go Zombies! Unfortunately, I was told I now have to do his job as well as mine... Fucking Zombies!

Well, that's a few of my halloween inspired ideas. Yeah, they could use some fleshing out, but damn it, I'd read those that blog fiction. Happy Halloween everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://tarvoris.blogspot.com/

Dustin said...

Anonymous, if you are the writer of that site - Wow! Your timing for starting and letting me know about your blog is impeccable. By the way, why is it marked "Adult"? So far I haven't read anything beyond most PG-13 movies.

Also, would you be interested in getting listed in the Blog Fiction Widget?

Kaye said...

I am the author.

It is marked 'Adult' as I know where it will be heading.

A listing would be wonderful. Thank you.

Tarvoris

Alex L said...

I have a question I write a serial every saturday on my blog but the other posts aren't fiction, would that disqualify me from being listed?

http://popeterry666.blogspot.com/2008/11/saturday-serial.html

thats a sample, that serial is almost over but I'll be starting another when it finishes.

Dustin said...

Tarvoris,
I've added your site to the my feed. If you'd like your site to appear on other blog fiction sites(like here, here, and here) just add the widget to your own site.

Alex,
The blog fiction widget is meant only for blog fiction sites(as defined in this post). Someday I may invent an online fiction widget, but right now I don't have the man hours or technology to maintain one.

If you are looking to promote your site I would suggest checking out Web Fiction Guide.

Alex L said...

Yes I thought so, anyway thanks for your time, keep up the good work!

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB