Reviewing Blog Fiction (100th Post!)

|

Congratulations to me. This is my 100th published post on this, the Blog Fiction blog. It also marks 1 month short of a year that I've maintained this site. In that time, I'm proud of the things I've done to help promote the genre. I've maintained the Blog Fiction forums. I created the Blog Fiction Widget. I've maintained the list of all the blog fiction sites that I know about. I've also tried to keep up with all of the latest blog fiction news.

Among the things I haven't done is do actual reviews of blog fiction writings. Sure, I've critiqued site layouts, but I've never critiqued people's blog fiction writing. Even in the case of the Ten-Sided disaster, I only critiqued their lack of working together - not their individual writing styles. I never did literary critiques because I never felt qualified to do it. I don't have any formal writing training. I've also never been published in anything. It felt presumptuous of me to think that I could offer advice to other writers.

So, that is the thing I wanted to ask everyone. Would you really be interested in my opinions on the writing of any blog fiction sites. Really, my only qualifications to offer reviews are the following:

  • I have a blog about Blog Fiction
  • I've read a lot of blog fiction and even tried to write some myself.
So, is that enough for you to take my word that maybe a story is too slow paced. Or to say that the character's of a blog fiction don't feel real. Please take the poll to the left and let me know. Also feel free to leave a comment to let me know why you voted the way you do. I'm going to leave the poll up for a while.

In the meantime, I feel like celebrating my 100 milestone South Park style.
("For reviews, against reviews, WHO CARES! 100 posts.")



UPDATE: This is how this post was supposed to look. Blogger really screwed up my javascript so you only saw about 1/5 of the post earlier.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You should. Web Fiction Guide won't list (and thus won't review) certain kinds of blog fiction. We only list blog fiction if it's story oriented as opposed to simply blogging from a fictional perspective.

Thus, if you don't review sites like that, no one will.

Bekah said...

Reviews are absolutely a good idea! And you're a reader, so you meet the requirements. Of course there are good and bad ways to write reviews, but that's mostly common sense.

congrats on 100!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

As long as you're kind...

Blog of Innocence said...

Dustin,

First off congradulations on the 100th. Blogging consistently is a virtue and you've definitely earned it. You've grown a community around your blog and have created a small but growing following.

Second off, yes you should do reviews. Not just because I want you to review the Novel of Life, but because I value you your opinion. Take the Reviews on WebFiction Guide for example. I'm not saying they're bad, but there's not much consistency there. You don't know if the editors are buddies with the people they're reviewing or if someone has an ax to grind.

So here's my point. You Dustin are perfectly qualified. Because you are an independent blogger with your own site and your own ideas. You're not associated with anyone else, with any other blog, and therefore people will value your opinion.

I like what I read here. I find it helpful and informative, and a way to connect with the greater community. So yes, review away and establish a reputation for yourself as as blog fiction critic.

Lethe

PaxMorporkia said...

I think it's a good idea. From those links, I can tell you've got a very good grasp on what makes a blog good.

Also, I thought your analysis of the Leviathan Chronicles was very well done, if that counts as a review...

Dustin said...

Susan,
If I do review I cannot promise to be kind. I will state what I think without apology. If I think the characters are 1 dimensional, or sentences are hard to follow, I will say that.

While I wouldn't be kind, neither would I be cruel. I will not make fun of a writer or offer any criticism that isn't constructive.

Leroy J. Powers said...

I feel like I am asking for trouble... but what the heck! LOL

DO the dern thing!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think blog fiction reviews is a great idea, I hope you go ahead!

My congratulations on your 100th post, great site you have here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB