10 reasons SG-1 more badass than Star Trek crew

|

Some of you may be wondering why I haven't been posting much. Well, I'll be honest with you. I've been watching too much T.V. My wife and I recently splurged and got a duo-deca-super-mega-kamehameha cable package and ended up with a DVR. I've been taping and watching a whole bunch of scifi shows that I only used to watch occasionally. I've been watching old and new(er) star trek and also stargate. I've just about finished watching the last season of stargate and I have to say, I think I like stargate better. The characters on SG-1 are just so much more badass than those wimps on Star Trek and I'll tell you why. So here it is, my top 10 reasons the SG-1 crew is more badass than the Star Trek crew.

1. More seasons.
10 freaking seasons. Do I really need to say more? The original series only lasted 3 seasons. The next generation, deep space nine, and voyager all only lasted 7 seasons. Star Trek Enterprise only managed to last 4 seasons("Way to kill the franchise, Bakula!").

2. Commited More Deicide than the Klingons
Star Trek crew fought a Greek God and won. Also, they traveled through The Great Barrier, met God, and wasn't impressed. However...

SG-1 killed dozens of gods. Seriously, they would wake up and just say, "I think I'll kill a god today." Apophis, Anubus, Ba'al, Hathor, Ra, Sokar, Yu... the list just goes on and on. Oh and after they killed all of the gods in their own galaxy, the SG-1 team got pissed and decided they weren't done commiting Deicide. SG-1 then traveled to another galaxy, found a bunch of gods, gave 'em all the middle finger, and killed all of them too. Damn! that's badass.

3. Better Resurrection
Spock died and came back to life. Daniel Jackson died and came back to life... twice! Bonus point, Daniel Jackson didn't make his friends spend an entire terrible movie uniting his mind and body. Advantage: SG-1.

4. Medicine
When you're off fighting the badguys, eventually you're going to get hurt. If you're hurt, which would you rather do? Go see a Doctor with a bad attitude or take a nap in Sarcophagus? yeah... I'm going with SG-1 again.

5. Engineering Skills
What's a good scifi show without some good far-fetched technology. The coolest thing Star Trek ever did was create a planet. Pretty badass. But on the other hand, SG-1 would frequently find, escape and manipulate BLACK HOLES. You know, those things that crush and pull everything into them, and here's SG-1 playing around in them like they're a jungle-gym.

6. Enemies
The enemies SG-1 faced were always scary and formidable. Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, they all had about the same level of skill and technology. SG-1 however, always faces vastly superior numbers and technology, and they still blew them the 'F' up. Badass!

7. Alternate Realities
If alternate universis in Stargate are better. Star Trek only had one alternate universe. Granted, that one was pretty badass, but star trek crew ruined it. SG-1 dealt with millions of alternate universes. They even repaired a "rift" between them. They also never convinced their alternate selves to quite fighting which lead them to their eventually downfall.

8. Stress Level
Like any good action show, the people in Star Trek and SG-1 are always fighting for their lives. However, every once in a while the stakes are raised a bit. The most stressful thing for Star Trek was that they had to save Earth. Now don't get me wrong. The fate of an entire planet is one hell of a burden to carry, but, once again, SG-1 was worse off. SG-1 was constantly trying to keep the entire galaxy from being destroyed by, mechanical spiders, power crazy go'uld, and power crazy ascended beings. Yeah, I think being in SG-1 was a little more stressful.

9. Best "Macgyver"moment
When you're off saving the day, every once in a while you have to be channel your inner Macgyver and be resourceful to get yourself out of a sticky situation. Now, Kirk once made a cannon out of bamboo, sulphur, potassium nitrate, charcoal and then fired diamonds into the heart of his enemy. I have to admit that's pretty badass. However, SG-1 HAS Macgyver on their team.

10. Most Cold Blooded Act
Part of being a badass means that once in a while you got to do something cold blooded to let people know what a badass you are. Keeping this in mind, Spock once tried to kill his Best Friend over a women. So much for Bros before Hos. While that's cold, SG-1 wins this category too. How? you might ask. I watched an episode where Daniel Jackson did the most cold-blooded thing I'd ever seen from any character in movies or tv. Goodguy, or badguy. What did he do? Brace yourself.

Daniel Jackson tried to shoot and kill an 8 year old girl.

This really needs repeating. Daniel Jackson, the "HERO" character of the show, tried to shoot and kill... an 8 year old little girl. The only reason he didn't succeed was because his friend stopped him. And the stopping him wasn't one of those cheesy, "don't do it, you're better than that" scenes either. I mean he pointed the gun at the girl's head and was about to pull the trigger when his friend pushed and ruined his aim at the last minute... as the gun went off. Yes, he pulled the trigger without hesitation. Cold! Blooded!

I will say this, Jackson did know that the little girl in question was going to grow up to be like Hitler on the galactic scale... but still. There's that old ethics question, "If given the chance, should we kill Hitler before he killed anyone". Well, if you're Daniel Jackson, not only is your answer "yes", you'll ask for the nearest gun and aim for the face.


Dr. Daniel Jackson... Archeologist and BADASS!
(who shoots little girls)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must bow down before your genius! You are absolutely correct about SG-1 but I have never seen put together so succinctly before! Or quite so humorously!

In your second point, "Committed More Deicide", I'm pretty sure that SG-1 didn't kill Yu (he was killed by RepliCarter) or Ba'al. They just extracted him from the host. They did off Nirrit (with a little help), Imhotep, Seth, Cronus, and Heru'ur! Am I missing anyone else? So they are still way ahead of Star Trek!

In number 5 you didn't mention that they blew up a sun - Go Carter!

Your final point - Number 10- Most Cold Blooded Act. I'm a little fuzzy about Daniel killing an eight year old girl. In which season and/or episode did that happen? That would be totally out of character for Daniel Jackson. Just wondering!

I'm glad that you like Stargate better. Jim Kirk was just a little too narcissistic for my liking while Jack O'Neill was pretty much "Let's save the galaxy again today!" Not that he didn't have his faults!

Thanks for a great article. I enjoyed it very much! Na-noo, na-noo, may the force be with you and Godspeed!

Dustin said...

Anonymous,
I didn't say he killed her, he tried to kill her.

In season 10, Daniel tried to kill Adria - the Ori god offspring. The problem was, she was only about 8 years old and hadn't done anything yet. There she was, laying on the flood, unconscious, and Daniel Jackson took his pistol, aimed for her head, and pulled the trigger. It was Vala that pushed his arm and made him miss. It was watching that act that inspired this article. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, Adria! I had forgotten about that. I was not as faithful a viewer during seasons 9 and 10 because the Ori plot line wasn't as interesting to me. Oh, and Jack left SG-1 to go to Washington, DC.

Thanks for clarifying that point for me!

Michele Cameron Drew said...

Bah... I loved SG-1 but for reason number 3 alone, Battlestar ruled. I will miss them both greatly.

Star Trek... adored it, but I don't ever seeing it really getting past its cheesy history like Battlestar did. I'm interested to see what they do with the new movie.

Michele Cameron Drew said...

erp... where's the edit button... ? I need an edit button. :P

Dustin said...

No edit button. Best I can do is delete your comment and you reprint it.

pet caskets said...

right, there should be an edit button also just like in forums..

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB