No Comments?!

|

I was reading My Super Hopeless Romance the other day and noticed something peculiar about it... it doesn't allow comments! A blog fiction without comments? What's the point? Just write web fiction. Actually, web fiction is more fun with comments too... So you may as well just write a book. Seriously, without comments, I can't give feed back, can't interact with the character, and I can't interact with other readers.

One of the words in Blog Fiction is 'Blog'. While the comments function is not necessary for a website to be called a blog, it is important. As Wikipedia says:

Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs.
Comments is one of the cool inventions that made blogs so popular. So while a blog fiction that doesn't have comments is still technically blog fiction, it's peculiar and... just not as fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can subscribe to the "All Comments" feed however ;| (upper right hand corner)
Just saying...

Christian Neuhaus said...

When I wrote the first story arc for my blog I disabled comments, since I wanted tight control of the story and had characters and situations I wanted to introduce in specific ways. Comments are now enabled, so if someone wants to post a comment that introduces a character or story element I hadn’t considered, I’m prepared to incorporate it.

Authors can make use of comments too, since they provide a way for characters to interact. The comments on my blog are either written by me as other characters or written by someone I know who’s writing in character – a character I created but is based on him.

Dustin said...

That's a good point, Christian. One that I never though about. Early in a blog fiction it may make sense to limit comments so as to keep the introduction and start going down a certain direction.

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Blog Fiction | Template Blue by TNB